Traveling in South Africa by motorized vehicle – the importance of an International Driving Permit:
We advise that you obtain an international driving permit (IDP) in your country of residence. This document is easily identifiable by our traffic officials and will avoid unnecessary disputes by the authorities.
“Section 23 of the National Road Traffic Act 93 of 1996 provides that ‘a driving license issued in any other country shall be deemed to be a license for the purposes of driving in South Africa. The period in respect of which the license shall remain valid to drive in South Africa, shall be as prescribed’. This section is supported by Regulation 110 (1) which states that a foreign driving license shall be valid to drive in South Africa if:
- The license has been issued in an official language of South Africa or
- A certificate of authenticity or validity issued in an official language of South Africa by a competent authority or
- A translation of that license in an official South African language, is attached to the license
- The license contains or has attached to it a photograph and the signature of the license holder.
Courtesy of The Automobile Association of South Africa
While planning your adventure to South Africa familiarize yourself with the following:
- Road safety in South Africa
- Road conditions
- Dangerous areas, hotspots for carjacking, smash and grabs, etc. that should be avoided at all times
- Availability of roadside assistance and contact details thereof
- Traffic regulations
- Any other law/regulations applicable to your journey