Cape Town to Richtersveld Tour
8 Days Cape Town to Richtersveld Tour, Namibia motorcycle adventure
- From USD 3 595
- 25% Deposit payment required to secure booking
- Minimum participants: 1
Itinerary for the Cape Town to Richtersveld Tour:
- Day 1: Cape Town to Touwsrivier
- Day 2: Touwsrivier to Calvinia via Tankwa Karoo
- Day 3: Calvinia via Kliprand to Garies
- Day 4: Garies to Ai Ais
- Day 5: Ai Ais to Port Nolloth
- Day 6: Port Nolloth to Strandfontein
- Day 7: Strandfontein to Paternoster
- Day 8: Paternoster to Cape Town
About this tour
Day one of the Cape Town to Richtersveld Tour takes us through the picturesque Cape Winelands region and via the Bain’s Kloof Pass to arrive at a private game reserve in time for a late afternoon game drive(if available). We relax in absolute luxury, enjoying the best wines the Cape has to offer.
On day two, between Touwsrivier and Calvinia, we travel along the longest unsealed road between two towns in South Africa. En route we traverse the Tankwa Karoo National Park which lies in one of the most arid regions of South Africa, with areas receiving on average less than 100 mm of rainfall per annum.
Calvinia is a rural town with down to earth people where you can still stop a stranger to ask for directions, even just to have a chat. The tempo of life here seems to be slower than elsewhere. However, you’ll find that the energy that these wonderful town and farm folk project, demonstrates just the opposite.
From Calvinia we stay on easy unsealed roads to Garies where we overnight in a tented camp and enjoy a real South African braai (barbeque) under the brightest stars. From here the road is sealed until we cross the Namibian Border at Vioolsdrift. Here we enter a harsh landscape where water is scarce and life-sustaining moisture comes from early morning fog.
Our next stop, The Fish River Canyon, is the largest canyon in Africa, the second largest in the world and the second most visited tourist attraction in Namibia. That night we stay in the Richtersveld Transfrontier Park from where we make our way the next morning to the coastal town of Port Nolloth, recognized for its alluvial diamonds along the coast.
Depending on the group’s riding skills, we may decide to travel along the coast through the Namaqua National Park to Strandfontein via a sandy track which can be difficult at times. If this is not for you, then we choose an alternative, easier route to our destination.
The remainder of the trip back to Cape Town is mainly on sealed roads. Along the way we visit Paternoster, a truly West Coast fishing village with white-washed fishermen’s cottages.
Tankwa Karoo, Hantam country, Boesmanland, Namaqualand and its wildflowers, the Richtersveld, the Orange River, the Fish River and the Fish River Canyon, the Atlantic and West Coast of South Africa.
Recommended time of the year for this tour: April-September
Difficulty level: 5
Accommodation and excursions can be arranged for those arriving earlier, or staying longer
SA Motorcycle Adventures reserve the right to adjust tour itineraries at short or without prior notice due to circumstances beyond our control.
- Motorcycle rental (unlimited kilometers)
- Fuel and other consumables
- 38lt Trax Top Box and 80lt Enduristan soft bag
- Road tolls and cross-border permits
- Experienced guide
- Breakfast and supper
- Support vehicle with trailer carrying luggage, tools, first-aid kit and refreshments if three or more participants
- Airport transfers, Cape Town.
- Helmet and protective gear
- Adventure excursions
- Excursions not mentioned in itinerary
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal expenses
- Personal accident, travel and medical insurance
- Recovery of motorcycle in the event of an accident
- Cost of emergency medical evacuation
Do you have any further questions about this tour? Contact us TODAY and we will get back to you soonest with the needed information.