Cape to Cunene River Tour
15 Days Cape Town (South Africa) to Cunene River (Namibia) adventure motorcycle tour
- From USD 6 750
- 25% Deposit payment required to secure booking
- Minimum participants: 1
Itinerary for the Cape to Cunene River Tour:
- Day 1: Cape Town to Garies
- Day 2: Garies to Port Nolloth
- Day 3: Port Nolloth to Helmeringhausen
- Day 4: Helmeringhausen to Solitaire
- Day 5: Solitaire to Swakopmund
- Day 6: Rest day
- Day 7: Swakopmund to Kamanjab
- Day 8: Kamanjab to Tsumeb
- Day 9: Tsumeb to Omaruru
- Day 10: Omaruru to Windhoek
- Day 11: Windhoek to Stampriet
- Day 12: Stampriet to Seeheim
- Day 13: Seeheim to Vioolsdrift via Fish River Canyon
- Day 14: Vioolsdrift to Calvinia
- Day 15: Calvinia to Cape Town via Tankwa Karoo
This itinerary is flexible to accommodate more rest days or shorter distances per day, if required.
About this tour
Day one of the Cape to Cunene River Tour takes us along South Africa’s picturesque Cape West Coast to Garies where we stay in a luxury tented camp on a private farm. That night we experience the first taste of a real South African braai (barbeque) under the brightest of stars. From Garies to Hondeklip Bay we travel the most scenic part of Namaqualand, farmed on communal land by descendants of the San people. Our stay in the coastal town of Port Nolloth, heart of the South African alluvial diamond industry, is just meters from the beach.
Once we cross the border into Namibia, the landscape changes dramatically – enough to take your breath away! From here to Swakopmund via Sesriem and Solitaire the road surface remains mostly unsealed. Expect plenty of wildlife as we travel alongside the spectacular Namib Desert.
After a rest day in Swakopmund, we leave the dunes of the Namib Desert behind us and head for Kaokoland via Spitzkoppe. By now we will be confident enough on our BMW R1200GS adventure motorcycles to take on the road which will be challenging at times. (We do not recommend riding this route without backup). The northwestern part of Namibia is even less densely populated than the areas in the south of the country, and with very little road traffic. En-route we’ll come across the Himba, a semi-nomadic ethnic group in this part of the world.
We allow for enough breaks to stop for cold drinks, to absorb the beauty of the scenic landscape and to capture the very moments on camera.
On the way back, we stay at a private game reserve with views from the chalet of a game water hole nearby. We allow enough time for an evening and early morning game drive. From here we head south and briefly visit Windhoek, the capital of Namibia. Our last stop before leaving Namibia behind is at the imposing Fish River Canyon, the largest canyon in Africa, the second largest in the world and the second most visited tourist attraction in Namibia.
This tour is a must for the bucket list of every true adventure rider!
Namaqualand, Richtersveld, Namib Desert, Sossusvlei, Sesriem, Lunar landscape, Welwitchia, Spitzkoppe, Himba, Big Five, Fish River Canyon, Tankwa Karoo
Recommended time of the year for this tour: April-September
Difficulty level: 4
Accommodation and excursions can be arranged for those arriving earlier, or staying longer
SA Motorcycle Adventures reserve the right to adjust tour itineraries at short or without prior notice due to circumstances beyond our control
- Motorcycle rental (unlimited kilometers)
- Fuel and other consumables
- 38lt Trax Top Box and 80lt Enduristan soft bag
- Road tolls and cross-border permits
- Experienced guide
- Accommodation(one night pre-trip, all nights during the trip, one night post-trip)
- Breakfast and supper
- Support vehicle with trailer carrying luggage, tools, first-aid kit and refreshments if 3 or more participants
- Airport transfers, Cape Town
- Helmet and protective gear
- Adventure excursions
- Excursions not mentioned in itinerary
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal expenses
- Personal accident, travel and medical insurance
- Recovery of motorcycle in the event of an accident
- Cost for emergency medical evacuation
Do you have any further questions about this tour? Contact us TODAY and we will get back to you soonest with the needed information.